If you have ever stepped into an old European home or office, you would have noticed the beautiful and intricate natural stone tiles used as flooring. The unmatched level of sophistication and charm of natural stone tiles captured millions of hearts worldwide. The tile is gaining popularity with every passing day because it offers several benefits over other types of flooring. It is durable and will never wear out no matter how often you replace it. Its inherent beauty only increases with age.
Furthermore, it is to keep clean and maintain, and with natural stone, you get an elegant finish that can be used in any room of your home, from kitchens to bathrooms to bedrooms. Installing natural stone also offers countless benefits and opportunities for creativity.
In addition, natural stones are also among the most cost-efficient materials for creating a beautiful façade. That being said, if you are planning on replacing your carpeting with natural stone tiles in the near future, scroll through this natural stone tile guide. We have encased everything you need to know about natural stone tiles to make an informed decision about upgrading your current flooring system & give it a perfect shot!
The image depicts the real-life implementation of the natural river rock mosaic tiles from the Mosaic Tile Outlet, crafting a sophisticated and serendipitous elegance.
What are Natural Stone Tiles?
A natural stone tile is one made from natural rocks or minerals such as marble, granite, or slate. They have unique characteristics because of their unique composition. These tiles are available in a wide variety of tile styles, shapes, and finishes. Natural stone is durable, affordable, and has an earthy feel that blends well with diverse home décor styles. They can add prestige and timeless beauty to a space and require minimal care.
It is also available in various finishes, including polished, honed, honed sandblasted, honed matt, and honed gloss. Other standard natural stone tiles include marble slabs, marble mosaics. You can also find mosaic tiles with custom shapes like circles or hexagons.
There are different styles of natural stone tiles available, with names like modern rustic, old world, vintage, and country charm being some popular choices. You can even get antique unfinished natural stone tumbled for an aged brick-like look.
Types of Natural Stone Tiles
There are diverse types of natural stone tiles that you can choose from. Let’s keep a tab on the types of natural tiles with this natural stone tile selection and installation guide.
- Granite Tile: Granite is a highly durable stone that can be used in any interior or exterior application. It has incredible heat retention and looks stunning when installed. It is perfect for kitchens, dining rooms, foyers, bathrooms, and more. Sleek and contemporary, the tile is also among the most popular natural stone tiles. Honed granite comes in a more satin finish, which is suitable for kitchen floors because it has a more matte surface and is, therefore, more slip resistant than its glossy counterpart.
- Marble Tile: Marble has a smooth and soft finish that looks luxurious in any room. It is among the most popular natural stone tiles because it is durable and affordable. It has a distinctive appearance that can suit any decorating scheme. Marble tile is less durable than granite but can be more versatile. It brings a uniform appearance and is more resistant to chipping and wear and tear. Honed marble tiles are a suitable fit for high-traffic areas, and if you are seeking to bring a rustic look to your applications, tumbled marble tiles are the best bet.
- Travertine Tile: A travertine tile has unique properties and is often used for floors and walls in kitchens and bathrooms. The tile comes in different finishes, including polished, honed, & tumbled. Travertine tile looks and feels like limestone but is much more durable. It has the unique ability to absorb water and stains, making it extremely easy to maintain. Travertine tile is among the expensive natural stone tiles but is also one of the most attractive options. It has a high porosity that makes it lightweight and ideal for use in bathrooms.
- Natural Stone Mosaic Tile: A mosaic is a type of artwork made up of small pieces of different colored stones. They create an artistic look that can be anywhere in your home – on the wall, floor, or the tabletop.
5 Benefits of Natural Stone Tiles
Natural stone tiles offer an appealing and ambitious look when decorating your home. These elegant and timeless surfaces are a popular choice among interior designers, architects, and homeowners for a good reason. Natural stone is hard-wearing, easy to maintain, and looks elegant in any setting.
There are so many benefits of using natural stone in your home, from the beauty that it adds to and the cost savings it offers. Let’s check out the benefits of using natural stone tiles:
1. Greater Resistance
Natural stones provide superior performance and durability over other construction materials due to their greater resistance to wear and tear compared to other building materials. This makes them an ideal choice for environments with a high level of maintenance, such as kitchens or bathrooms. Irrespective of how many times you replace them, natural stone tiles will never wear out. They are also weather resistant and can withstand high winds, heavy rains, and snow without damage.
2. Easy To Maintain
Natural stones offer increased longevity compared to traditional building materials because they are less susceptible to damage from moisture, weather conditions, and pests. This makes them an excellent choice for areas that need protection from the elements like basements or attics where there is little maintenance required but high demand on the space’s resources such as water pressure and humidity levels.
These tiles are made from natural materials, which means they are eco-friendly and don’t contribute to the pollution of the environment. In addition, natural stone tiles are affordable. They are one of the most inexpensive types of flooring on the market. The tile implementation is suitable for both indoor & outdoor use.
Natural rocks contain no fertilizers or pesticides; it reduces the amount of waste generated by traditional buildings by more than half. Natural stones use less electricity than conventional building materials, so they emit far fewer emissions into the air than other types of construction material. Besides, since the stones are extracted from the earth’s crust, they are sustainable choices and require low-energy machinery for processing.
5. Sophisticated Aesthetic Value
Natural stone tiles are incredibly durable, yet they have a distinctive look of natural stone, making them an excellent choice for interior décor. Natural stone tiles are versatile. They offer you the classy looks that can enhance the appearance of your home decor grabbing visitors’ attention.
In addition, since these times are timeless, they are unaffected by the changing ephemeral trends and enhance your property value. You can choose the tiles in your balconies or the stairs to bring the fashion cult. Also, stone clapping in the mansion helps prevent all from weathering, keeping the property’s value intact.
How to Choose Natural Stone Tiles For Floor?
There are diverse types of natural stone tiles, each with different characteristics and advantages. Choosing the right kind of stone tile for your floor is often a personal preference based on the look, feel, and price you prefer. However, the following are the steps you can adhere to before choosing your tiles:
- Measure the area where the tiles will be installed. Make sure to measure the length and the width of the area where the tiles will be placed.
- Verify that the area is level. If it is not level, the tiles will look uneven when installed, which will ruin the whole décor.
- Ensure the subfloor beneath the area where the tiles will be placed is dry and clean. If the subfloor is wet or dirty, the tiles will not adhere properly and kill the look. Place each tile on the subfloor to check the fit.
Natural stone tiles are often the best choice if you are looking for a traditional look for your floor. Natural stone tiles’ benefits include their long-lasting appeal, durability, and ability to adapt to any space or layout. Stone tile has a rugged and classic feel that works well in modern or traditional spaces. It can also easily match any other wall or floor surface.
When choosing natural stone tiles for your floor, it is crucial to consider your budget and the aesthetic you are planning to craft. High-end products are typically more expensive but tend to last longer with less maintenance. On the other hand, lower-end products may not last as long but can be purchased for a lower price.
Choosing natural stone tiles for floors is not simple and requires meticulous attention to detail. Initially, it is important to understand the types of stones available and their advantages and disadvantages. In addition, it is vital to understand natural stone tiles’ durability and maintenance requirements.
How to Clean and Maintain Your Floor with Natural Stone Tiles?
There are several ways to clean and maintain your floor with natural stone tiles. One of the most effective ways is to use a floor cleaner with a neutral fragrance that you can wear. You can remove dirt and grime from your floor with water and soap.
To clean and maintain your stone tiles, follow these tips:
- Use warm water with a brush with soft bristles to clean stone tiles. Avoid using pressure cleaners or scrubbers on stone tiles as they can damage the finish.
- Use vinegar, lemon juice, or mild acids to clean stone tiles. Acidic liquids are great for removing stains from stone tiles and can neutralize odors.
- Use a tile floor cleaner on stone tiles with many buildups, including dirt, dust, food particles, grease, and dirt buildup on grout lines.
- To shine up stone tiles, use mineral spirits and a cloth or soft brush to clean off dust buildup from granite and marble tiles, then seal with a light coat of wax or polish if desired.
In addition, you also can clean the tiles using deglossing products and brushing or a steam mop. Enzyme cleaners are also an effective choice for cleaning natural stone tiles. These products work by breaking down stains and residues over time. They are also very gentle on the tile’s finish, so they won’t damage it or dull its shine over time.
If you love natural stone tiles’ charm and beauty, you need to try these tile materials. Natural stone tiles offer a wide range of benefits compared to other types of flooring, including being durable, easy to maintenance-free, and remaining beautiful for a lifetime. Another aspect to note is that natural stone tiles are relatively inexpensive, so you don’t have to break the bank to uplift your flooring system. With these factors in mind, it is easy to assess why natural stone tiles are so popular among homeowners and businesses worldwide. You can explore a wide range of natural stone tiles from the eCommerce website for tiling Mosaic Tile Outlet to choose the tile of your choice.