Having a beautiful and functional kitchen backsplash is essential for any kitchen. A functional kitchen backsplash can not only add beauty to your kitchen but also improve efficiency by reducing moisture and keeping the space looking fresh. Kitchen backsplashes also help to unify the design of your kitchen and add to the value of your house as they help to increase its resale value in the future.
But while opting for a home renovation project and planning your brand new kitchen, have you plunged into how to choose backsplash tiles for the kitchen? You can choose from various kitchen backsplash options as per your taste and space availability. Backsplashes help to bring a natural element into the kitchen by using different materials such as stone, marble, ceramic tile, resin, and many others.
But with so many different ways to choose the right kitchen backsplash, you might be wondering which one is the best. Well, we have got you covered. Read on about choosing the right kitchen backsplash from different options—flick on the factors you require to consider before making a decision on which type is right for you.
What Are The Types of Kitchen Backsplashes?
Kitchen backsplashes can add value to any space and add life and elegance. They can make a space look more modern, chic, and sophisticated. However, with so many diverse choices available in the market, it can be challenging to find the right type of kitchen backsplash that suits your needs and style perfectly.
There are different types of kitchen backsplash options that you can choose from. Each type is custom-made to suit specific spaces and needs, which makes them more suitable for homeowners looking for a durable, functional, and attractive option for their kitchens. Here are some types of kitchen backsplashes available in the market:
- Subway Tiles: Subway tiles are an elegant choice as kitchen backsplashes, combining traditional style with modern appeal. The minimalist design of subway tiles makes them a perfect fit for kitchens, while their durability ensures they will be functional for years to come. Subway tiles help in creating a compromise between contemporary and traditional kitchen designs. The tiles are sturdy, which helps them last in your kitchen for years. Subway tiles provide excellent coverage, which allows you to achieve a clean design, and the tile’s finish can be changed to suit any style or color scheme. Subway tiles are chemical resistant and durable, making them perfect for the kitchen countertop.
- Porcelain Tile: A porcelain tile backsplash is made of a special type of porcelain known as vitreous or white porcelain. White porcelain has a natural resistance to stains and is heat resistant, which makes it ideal for a kitchen backsplash. As a natural stone alternative to tile, white porcelain has a more elegant and classic look that chefs appreciate.
- Ceramic Tile: If you are looking for a durable and long-lasting kitchen backsplash option, you can choose ceramic tile. They have a unique look and feel that make them stand out among other kitchen products. They are also easy to clean & maintain, making them a great choice for homeowners looking to add style and functionality to their kitchens.
- Stone Backsplash: One of the most popular kitchen backsplash types, stone backsplashes are made of natural stone like granite and marble. These are beautiful, durable, and provide excellent natural insulation, which makes them a solid choice for any kitchen.
- Composite Planks: If you are looking for an affordable and easy-to-install option, composite plank backsplashes are the best choice. They are lightweight and ease to install, yet they look elegant and beautiful.
- Glass Tiles: These are also commonly used as an option for kitchen backsplashes. They are designed to fit over glass tile floors and come in a variety of styles, designs, colors, and finishes to match any décor or style you have in your home. These can be installed using simple taping methods or self-adhesive paper clips.
What to Consider When Choosing a Kitchen Backsplash?
Choosing backsplashes is one of the most often repeated dilemmas in home renovation projects. There are many things to consider when choosing kitchen backsplash materials and designs. The budget is, of course, an essential factor. The style and design of your kitchen are also important considerations when choosing a backsplash. The type of flooring your kitchen is mounted to must also be considered. Following are a few key aspects you can consider when you are stuck on how to choose backsplash tiles for the kitchen.:
1. Style and the Color Scheme
If you are on a budget, you can find great deals on backsplash material at discount stores or online retailers such as Mosaic Tile Outlet. Try to find a material that best matches your kitchen’s style and color scheme. You can also find decorative backsplash tiles in a variety of styles that are made for installation directly onto the flooring underneath your cabinets. They complete space and provide tone and texture. When you have a complete design scheme, select the tiles that match it well but also allow for some flexibility for change down the line.
2. Size and Shape of Your Kitchen
Another important consideration is the size and shape of your kitchen space. Make sure that the backsplash material you choose fits the size of your space as well as enhances the overall look and feel of your kitchen. Also, keep in mind that backsplashes are primarily used in kitchens only, so make sure that it fits well with another décor in the space.
3. Keep A Note Of Manufacturing Guidelines
Ensure that the backsplash material you choose will work well with any flooring you choose to use in your kitchen and any cabinetry or countertop pieces you may have installed there. Always check with the manufacturer’s guidelines for compatibility before buying any backsplash material, though.
4. How To Decide the Best Material for Your Backsplash
- Consider the Effect on Home Cooking and Hygiene: The surface characteristics of the backsplash material will have a great effect on your home cooking, taste, and hygiene. So make sure it is a material that is porous or absorbent in nature, or else it will affect your food. – Is It Easy to Install? – Another important factor to consider when choosing the best kitchen backsplash option is its installation process.
- Make sure it is easy to install material that does not require a lot of effort or tools. – Is It Durable? – Depending on your usage and care, a kitchen backsplash may last many years or break after a few months of use.
- Make sure the material you choose is durable and long-lasting in nature. – What is the Cost of Maintenance? – A cheap kitchen backsplash option may look great on the surface, but it may be a hassle to maintain. This is important to consider when choosing the best kitchen backsplash option. – What is the Cost of Replacement? The cost of replacing the kitchen backsplash is an essential factor to consider when choosing the best material. Make sure the material you choose is affordable, durable, and easy to replace.
5. Effect of Backsplash on Home Cooking and Hygiene
The effect of your kitchen backsplash on home cooking and hygiene is important to consider. If you choose a material that is porous and absorbent, it will leave a sticky layer on the food that is harder to remove because of its sticky nature. Porous or absorbent material can affect your kitchen hygiene. Hence choose a surface that is easy to maintain. Other than the surface characteristics, some other essential factors you need to consider when choosing the right type of kitchen backsplash are: – the space available for the backsplash.
Although the topic is quite technical, it is not at all difficult to choose the right kitchen backsplash. You are required to follow the factors we have mentioned above, and you will be able to choose the best material for your kitchen. You can scroll through this article to make an informed decision about the best kitchen backsplash option. You can get a sneak on the Mosaic Tile Outlet to explore the kitchen backsplash options to decide on the material for your kitchen backsplash to bring the style element to your kitchen.